The Live-in Caregiver program is administered jointly by Human Resources Development Canada (HRSDC) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). HRSDC assesses and confirms offers of employment to foreign workers. CIC ensures that potential candidates meet the established criteria for the Live-in Caregiver Program and issues work permits which permits foreign workers to be employed in Canada. Foreign workers may come to Canada to provide unsupervised care for children, elderly adults or persons who are physically challenged in a private household. The Live-in caregiver program exists to help meet the shortage of Canadian workers and permanent residents available for live-in care.
A live-in caregiver is someone who provides care to children, the elderly or the physically challenged in a private household.
After working for two full years as a live-in caregiver, (In the employer's home) you or you and your immediate family (husband/wife and children) become eligible and may apply for your permanent resident status in Canada.
Some of the responsibilities of a caregiver include:
- Assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing and grooming;
- Communication with clients, family members and health care teams;
- Assisting clients with mobility difficulties;
- Household management skills;
- Meal preparation and planning;
- Assistance with medications;
- Providing physical and emotional support;
- Document procedures;
- Maintaining records.
- Salaries varies from CAD $360 to CAD $500 CDN per week.
- Salary may include room and board (Telephone excluded).
- Maximum amount allowed to be charged for room and board, $369.42 monthly.
- To qualify to work in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program, you must meet the following 4 Canadian Government requirements:
- You must have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian high school education. This requirement will help to ensure that if you apply for permanent residence after two years as a live-in caregiver, you will be able to succeed in the general labour market.
- Six months/750 hrs. of full-time training in a classroom setting. You may have gained your training or experience in areas such as early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid.
- Be able to speak, read and understand either English or French at a level that allows you to function independently in a home setting.
- A written employment contract signed, between you and your future employer. Grade 12 Equivalent: For Indian Students, High school graduate with 5 subjects, 12th Grade (All streams).
- You are also required to provide proof of all high school certificates with transcripts and any other supporting certificates/documents.
- Police clearance prior to admission into program and (within 12 months when applying for your work permit.)
- An up to date medical record from your family doctor prior to admission into program.
- You will also be asked to complete a full medical for immigration purposes before your work permit is issued. (Cost varies)
All graduates of the Live-in Caregiver program have up to three years less 1 day, to apply for a work permit to Citizenship Immigration Canada.
You can obtain the admission form in this 6 months LCP program by:
- Applying online Live-in Caregiver Program Admission Form, OR
- Download the PDF form - Live-in Caregiver Program Admission Form (Please fill it up and send back by scan email attention to: Registration at email@example.com).
- Registration is ongoing.......
- Intake: January, May and September every year
- Limited enrollment
- Maximum 20 students per class
- Fill out an Live-in Caregiver Program Admission Form.
- Supply three passport size photos.
- Provide your resume.
- Provide Police Clearance Prior to Start of Program.
- Provide 2 references, 1 personal and 1 professional.
- Registration Fee (Non-Refundable) of CAD $150.00.
Submit all the required documents along with the registration fee at OCTI Head office in Canada or any campus of OCTI by mail or fax at the following address in Canada.
Onkar Caregiver Training Institute Inc.
205-B 2099 Lougheed Hwy, Port Coquitlam British Columbia - Canada V3B 1A8